Gurdas Mann is a Punjabi singer, songwriter, choreographer and actor. He is one of the famous personalities of the Punjabi music industry. He came to light with his Punjabi song “Dil Da Mamla Hai.”
Wiki / Biography
Gurdas Mann was born on January 4, 1957 (Age 62 years; as in 2019) Kitarbaha, Muktsar District, Punjab. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He did his schooling at Yadavindra Public School, Patiala and did his postgraduate studies in physical education at a college in Malout, Punjab. Thereafter, he completed his Diploma in Sports Training at the Netaji Subhash National Institute of Sports in Patiala. He loved music from a young age. Deer has participated in various song and mimicry competitions at his college youth festivals and has won numerous awards.
While at Gurudwara College, he performed a concert titled “Sajna Way Sajna” at the official function of the Punjab State Electricity Board. The official staff of the Board were impressed by his performance and offered him a job in their field. During a stage show like this, Kurdas sang the song “Dil Da Mamla Hai”, where he caught the attention of the producer of Jalandhar TV station, who approached Mana for a TV recording of the same song. The song aired on December 31, 1980 and was an immediate success.
Height (approximately): 5 ‘9 “
Weight (approximately): 70 kg
Hair color: Black
Eye color: Dark brown
Family, Caste & Wife
Gurudas belongs to a deer Sikh family. He was the son of the late Sardar Gurdev Singh Mann and the late Bibi Tej Kaur. He has a brother named Paramjit Bahia.
She married Manjit Mana, producer and director of Indian Punjabi films. The couple has a son, Crick G. Mann, who is a video director and producer.
Gurdas Mann started his singing career in 1980 with the Punjabi song “Dil Da Mamla Hai”. The song was a huge hit. Next, he released the songs “Mamla Kadpat Hai” and “Salla”. His Punjabi song “Apna Punjab How” won several awards at the Asian Pop and Media Awards in various categories such as ‘Best Song’, ‘Best Album’ and ‘Best International Artist’. In 2007, his album “Boot Police” won the Best International Album Award at the UK Asian Music Awards. He also sang the hit track “Ki Banu Duniya Da” with Diljit Dosanjh on Coke Studio MTV Season 4. Deer has written and directed the TV show “POP Time” for Doordarshan in Delhi.
In addition to singing, Deer also tried his hands at acting. He has acted in many popular Bollywood films and has received various awards such as the Jury Award given to him by the President of India. He has appeared in many Hindi, Punjabi and Tamil films. He is best known for his role in the film ‘Waris Shah-Ishq Da Waris’, which portrayed the epic poem of Punjab poet Waris Shah while composing Heer Ranja. He also made a special appearance in the movie “Veer Zara” starring Shah Rukh Khan.
- In 2005, it was twice embroiled in controversy. First, to sing a movie song instead of a religious song at a concert for Vaisakhi. Second, for hurting the feelings of the Sikh community with his song “Throw away your religious books and underwear”.
- In 2011, he again fell into controversy for the song “Saathi Jitte Loki Ae Loki Rehn D” from the Jogia album.
- Food: Rajma Sawal, Sarso Sock
- Singers: Kuldeep Manak, Surinder Shinda
- Song: Hey Mary Sohra Jabeen from the movie Wakt (1965)
- His hobbies include gymnastics, yoga and poetry.
- He loves ice creams.
- Gurdas is an outstanding athlete and won a bronze medal at the National Wrestling Championships.
- He has a black belt in judo.
- An ardent follower of Man Baba Murad Shah Ji and Sai Ladi Shah Ji, he pays homage to them every year in the month of May in Punjab Nakodar, Dera Baba Murad Shah Ji.
- Gurdas holds a doctorate from Wolverhampton University. He received his degree in Courage on September 7, 2010.
- He owns a film production company in Mumbai called “Sai Productions”.
- On January 9, 2001, a deer vehicle collided with a lorry in a village near Rupnagar, Punjab. His driver and good friend Tejpal died in the accident. Later, he released the song ‘Ride’ dedicated to his ride.
- On January 20, 2007, Gurdas Mann was involved in a truck accident in a village near Cornell. Deer sustained minor injuries to his face and body and his driver Ganesh was critically injured.
- Gurdas Mann is a big supporter of the Manchester United football club.
- Gurdas turned down many duet offers in his singing career because he always wanted to be a successful solo artist.
- In addition to Punjabi, Mann is fluent in Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Haryanvi and Rajasthani.
- As of 2019, he has produced more than 34 music albums and written more than 305 songs.
- Gurdas Mann is the only Punjabi singer to win the National Award for “Best Male Playback Singer” for his song ‘Waris Shah: Ishq Da Waris’ at the 54th National Film Awards.
- He started a restaurant called “The Studio-Gurdas Mann” in association with a Delhi-based capital company. Curated is based on the idea of providing an elegant dining experience with live concerts.
- He is affectionately known as “The Living Legend”, “Man Sahab” and “Punjab Pride”.