Anurag Kashyap is a famous Indian filmmaker. He is the recipient of several National and Filmfare Awards. Kashyap, who started his career as a co-writer in Ram Gopal Varma’s crime drama Satya (1998), made his progress from Dev.D (2009). For his contribution to films and cinema, the French government awarded him the Arte des Arts et des Lettres (Night of the Order of Arts and Letters) in 2013.
Wiki / Biography
Anurag Kashyap was born on 10 September 1972 (Age: 48 years old, as of 2020) In Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh, India. His father, Prakash Singh, was the chief engineer of Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited. Kashyap received his early education at the Green School in Dehradun. When she was 8, she enrolled at Cynthia School in Gwalior.
He wanted to become a scientist. To pursue his dream of becoming a scientist, he joined Hans Raj College at the University of Delhi. He graduated in 1993 with a degree in zoology. After graduation, he did several street plays. In 1993, he moved to Mumbai for Rs. 5000 in the pocket. When all the money was spent, he slept on the beaches after spending several days on the streets. At times, he stayed at the St. Xavier Orphanage. Somehow, he was able to find works in the Separation Theater, but his first play was not completed by the death of the director.
- Height (approximately): 178 cm or 5’11 ”
Anurag Kashyap was born to Prakash Singh.
He has a brother, Abhinav Kashyap, who is also a film director and screenwriter.
Anupathi Kashyap also helped most of his sisters.
He married Aarti Bajaj in 2003 and he has been her friend since the early days. He is a film editor and works in his films.
The couple has a daughter, Alia Kashyap. The couple divorced in 2009.
After divorcing his first wife, Anurag married actress Kalki Kochlin in 2011. But, soon after they got divorced in 2015.
He has a connection with Supra Shetty who works in media production.
In 1995, he accidentally met a man named Pankaj Titoria. Pankaj Titoria introduced him to film director and editor Sivam Nair. At Sivam Nair’s house, Kashyap was mesmerized by the movie ‘Taxi Driver’. In 1997, he wrote the screenplay for Hansel Mehta’s first film ‘Jayate’, which could not be released in theaters. In 1998, actor Manoj Bajpayee suggested his name to director Ram Gopal Varma to write a film.
Ram Gopal Varma hired him after being inspired by the work of ‘Auto Narayan’. At that time, he co-wrote the script for ‘Satya’ with Satrap Shukla. Satya is a hit film which is considered as one of the best films of Indian cinema. In 1999, he wrote the script for ‘Gown’ and the dialogues for ‘Shool’. That same year, he made a short film for television, ‘The Last Train to Mahakali’.
Kashyap made his directorial debut in 2002.Punch. ‘This film is related to the 1976 Joshi-Abhiyankar serial killings. Initially, the film ran into trouble with the Central Film Certification Board. Meanwhile, Kashyap has written dialogues for several films such as Paisa Vasool (2004), Yuva (2004), a Canadian film, Neer (2005), and Main Isa Hi Hoon (2005). Destroyed by the Board and released in 2002 at several film festivals. In 2007, he worked on the film ‘Black Friday’ based on Hussein Jaitley’s book of the same name and was involved in the 1993 Bombay bombings. However, the Mumbai High Court has stayed its release pending the verdict in the bomb blast case. That same year, he remade Stephen King’s short story “Exit” as “No Smoking”. In 2009, he founded his own production company. Anurag Kashyap Pictures. He made his production debut from the hit film ‘Uthan’. Kashyap has produced many films including Shaitan (2011), Chittagong (2012), Ayya (2012). The film was screened at several international film festivals. Roger Ebert, a well-known American film critic, gave 3.5 stars to 4.4.
In 2016, Raman Raghav 2.0, directed by Kashyap, was well received by Nawazuddin Siddiqui. In 2018, he worked with co-directors Zoya Akhtar, Dibakar Banerjee and Karan Johar on ‘Lost Stories’. On June 15, 2018, the film was released on Netflix.
Anurag Kashyap is also a good actor and appeared in his cameo appearance in many films like Black Friday (2007), Dera Kia Hoka Johnny, Dev.D, Kulal, Bhootnath Returns, Happy New Year, etc. A police officer in the movie ‘Encounter’. In 2011, he became a villain in Dikmanshu Tulia’s ‘Shakirt’. In 2016, he played a corrupt police officer in AR Murugadoss’ film ‘Akira’. In 2018, he also acted in the Tamil film Imaika Nodikal.
- In 2000, the director’s first film ‘Punch’ fell into controversy for its depiction of violent youth.
- He is often criticized by the media for promoting sex, drugs and abuse in his films.
- He co-produced the 2016 film ‘Utah Punjab’ with other producers. The film was criticized by the censor board for portraying Punjab in smoking and narcotics.
- On 19 September 2020, Bollywood actress Payal Ghosh took to Twitter to accuse Anurag Kashyap of sexually abusing her in the #MeToo campaign series. In his tweet, he called on Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to take action on the issue. He also mentioned the names of some Bollywood actresses like Huma Qureshi and Richa Chatta and said that they were sexually abused by Kashyap.
ரக அனுரகஷ்யப் 72 Forcing me has made it so much worse. PMOIndia arenarendramodi G, please take action and let the monster country look behind this creative guy. I know it will harm me and my safety is at stake. Please help! https://t.co/1q6BYsZpyx
– பயல் கோஷ் ॐ (ampiampayalghosh) September 19, 2020
Following Payal Ghosh’s tweet, Rekha Sharma, chairperson of the National Commission for Women in India, asked for details about the incident through her Twitter account.
Thanks you will do it https://t.co/xQVgzIh0cU
– பயல் கோஷ் ॐ (ampiampayalghosh) September 19, 2020
Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut also supported Payal Ghosh on Twitter.
Bollywood is full of sex hunters, they have fake and fake marriages, they expect a new hot young woman to be happy every day, they do it to young vulnerable men too, I don’t need my scores # Me too But most women do #Payal Ghosh # Anurag Kashyap
– கங்கனா ரனாவத் (angKanganaTeam) September 20, 2020
Anurag Kashyap denied these demands through a series of tweets.
ब्या ात है, समया समय ले मुझे करवाने की की ं. If you do not find what you are looking for then just ask. तो मर्यादा रखिए. कीा की जो ोपरोप ोपरोप ोपके सब बुनियेबुनियाद हैं .१ /
– Anurag Kashyap (anuragkashyap72) September 19, 2020
On 21 September 2020, he released his attorney’s statement and decided to pursue the matter legally.
– Anurag Kashyap (anuragkashyap72) September 20, 2020
On September 23, Payal Ghosh registered an FIR against Anurag at the Versova police station in Mumbai. In the FIR, Mr. Kashyap was accused of raping himself at a place on Yari Road in Versova in 2013.
- As of March 2021, the Income Tax Department had a mismatch of Rs. 650 crore after tests on Anurag Kashyap, Thapsi Pannu and Vikas Pahl. The trials were conducted on March 30, 2021 in Mumbai and Pune as part of a tax evasion probe against Phantom Films. According to the IT department. Officials said the production company staff had spent about Rs. 300 crore; In addition, the handling and underestimation of Phantom Films’ stock transactions between film directors and shareholders, amounting to about Rs. 350 crore, cited by the authorities, and the evidence for the cash receipt of the leading actress was Rs. 5 crore was recovered. Opposition parties have strongly condemned the raids, saying the Modi government was acting against those who spoke out against the government’s retaliation and those who supported the farmers’ struggle.
Awards / Honors
- Screenplay Award for Best Screenplay with Sarab Shukla for Satya (1999)
- Special Arbitrator Award for the last train to Mahakali (2000)
- Grand Jury Prize for Black Silver (2007)
- Best Story and Best Screenplay Award with Vikramaditya Motwane (2011)
- Government of France Arte des Arts et des Letress (Night of the Order of Arts and Letters) (2013)
- Yash Bharti Award by the Government of Uttar Pradesh (2016)
- Food (s): Cheese, cereals, fish, chocolate, nespresso
- Movies (s): Bicycle thieves, Piazza, robber queen, Sahib PV Aur Ghulam
- Actresses: Marilyn Monroe, Golshift Farahani, Scarlett Johansson
In 2018, his net worth is approximately $ 110 million.
- He likes to smoke and drink.
- After graduating in 1993, she joined the street theater troupe “Jana Natya Munch”. In the same year, he attended the International Film Festival and watched 55 films in 10 days. Vittorio de Sica’s ‘Bicycle Thieves’ affected him greatly.
- He is considered a teacher and was a pioneer of indie scenes in India in the early 2000s.
- Filmmaker Zoya Akhtar wrote about him, “He has a very strong storytelling style and he has proven that you can tell a great story without a lot of money.”
- One Canadian critic called Cameron Bailey Kashyap “one of the most intelligent filmmakers”.
- The British director, Danny Boyle praised Kashyap’s direction and copied Kashyap’s film production from some scenes from the Oscar-winning film. Slumdog Millionaire.
- He has no faith in religion. According to him, “I am a great person. The only religion I believe in is cinema. “
- Kashyap is a member of the NGO team. ஆங்கன், Helps protect vulnerable children across India.
- His hobbies include writing, swimming, and listening to music.